Saturday, January 3, 2009

Voddoo 29er review. Gary Fisher 29er quick ride - 1 hour

I picked up a titanium Vodoo 29er sporting
crossmax SL 29er a wheels
Reba Race 80mm
and XT components

I took it to Stromlo for a test ride and after setting it up noticed the geometry placed me in a very upright position despite the longer flipped stem.

My aim of this test was to see if a 29er had merits for me at 6'2".
- In short I noticed that I sat in the bike as opposed to on top of the bike which was a nice feeling that promoted confidence.
- The tyres are more sure footed grabbing well on climbs under power.
- Steering differences are negligable to a 26er.
- Titanium is over rated and still very harsh and definetely not a replacement for dual suspension
- 29 wheels can not replace the smoothness of even a racier 26 short travel suspension bike
- I found it difficult to bunny hopmaybe due to the longer wheelbase of a 29er

In short Im still curious and want to try another 29er maybe a Salsa Dos Niner or Mamasita

Earlier in the day I also tried a Gary Fisher Paragon and although only a short 20 min ride noticed it steered quicker had a plusher and nicer Fox fork and a better mix of components.
The bike was also easier to moneuver and bunny hop.

On both bikes I noticed that acceleration was improved over my Anthem0 although it is noticably lighter. 29ers also roll over fist sized trail objects and trail ruts far superior to a 26er.

No comments:

Post a Comment