Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Cold feet


Yeah its Winter and damn this Winter has caused me some frozen toe grief.

Last winter I was layering 2 pairs of cotton socks and although layering works cotton gets wet and feels cold very quickly.
Bring on wool/merino socks, just like merino base layers this stuff may get wet but damn it never feels cold, or far less so.

Taped vent holes and shoe toe covers go a long way to block out cold wind but cant substitute for shoe covers, combine all of these measures and enjoy toasty feet.

At the recent Stromlo 7hr the start was a balmy -2degrees. A rushed morning meant I had put on cotton socks and no shoe covers. My freezing toes were aching and numb from the cold. This combined with my sore right knee was my archiles heel. 4 hours in and I had to pull out, things got that unbearable.

No comments:

Post a Comment