Monday, December 15, 2008

First Post - Lactic Threshold time trial

Wow so I have my own training blog.

I will be using this as a tool to track my cycle based training. In the past my system has been pretty minimal and haphazard. Lets just say marking up a monthly calendar hasn't been effective so far.

Since I am aiming to ride my first 24 this April at Majura Pines I am hoping this tool will keep me on track.

So far:

Well I started training after taking a two week break after the disasterous effort at the Highland Fling, 100km. After a total bullsup at the Fling thinking the track would come back through the start transitition, (I only brought enough food and water for 30k's!) The race from then on turned out to be disasterous. Two weeks was needed to get my head back, to recompose, to think and draft a plan for the upcoming season. Note to self next time plan and familiarise prior to the day of the event!

So I have done a few rides again marking them on my calendar which got me thinking if I am going to ride 24 hours I better start planning and documenting my training.
We all know that the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again and expect different results. At least I will be able to go through my records and make changes as necessary.

So it starts tonight! What better way to start then to do a time trial to find out my Lactic Threshold LT. So in a 2 and half hour ride I aimed for a 25 minute flat time trial to determine my average HR that will form my Lactic Threshold LT.

Results:
Average HR = 174
Max HR = 189

After this I climbed Mount Taylor in prep for this Thursdays Dirt Crit and tried a fe different things like throwing the bike over my shoulder cyclecross style and running up the steeper sections.

Anyway having an annual documented time trial like this Thursdays Mount Taylor Climb is an easy way to check yearly progress. Ideally I would like to do this 3 or four times in the year.

Planning for a plan
So now it's time to build a solid base. With these figures, in hand, I will be able to train more efficiently and with a plan (to be posted soon)

No comments:

Post a Comment